We support a number of local charities based in East Lothian as well as those working to help people across Edinburgh and Scotland. Those we have supported most recently and regularly are East Lothian Foodbank and Homestart.
East Lothian Foodbank
Gullane Parish Church has long supported East Lothian Foodbank by both collecting foodstuffs and volunteering at the warehouse in Tranent.
The Foodbank provides three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to local people who are referred to them in crisis. They are part of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by The Trussell Trust, working to combat poverty and hunger across the UK.
You can find out more about East Lothian Foodbank on their website.
Homestart East Lothian
Gullane Parish Church has supported our local Homestart charity in a number of ways, mainly by collecting gifts at Christmas time. These are given to children who might otherwise not receive any presents at this time.
Homestart helps families in East Lothian who have young children, by providing a volunteer to visit them in their own homes regularly for friendship and support.
Home-Start support helps to
- Reduce family isolation and increase social support networks
- Strengthen parent-child relationships
- Improve parents’ emotional health and well-being
- Develop and improve parenting skills
- Improve the home environment
- Improve children’s health, well-being and development
- Increase access to health, education and community service.
You can find out more about Homestart East Lothian here.